Escambia County, the city of Pensacola and the town of Century will determine if a storm warrants special debris collection. After a severe storm, residents should follow regular service schedules and watch for changes published in the local news media. Storm debris should be prepared for pickup as quickly as possible since special collection may be available only for a limited time. After the designated time, debris will be the responsibility of the property owner. The debris left behind by storms can carry hidden dangers and hazards. Follow these safety tips when cleaning up:
- Always wear gloves and work boots when cleaning or removing debris.
- Discard unsafe food.
- Open windows to provide ventilation.
- Remove wet contents including carpet, furniture and building materials.
- Do not allow children to play in or around debris piles. Check play areas for hazards.
- Do not try to move any displaced propane tanks. Get in touch with fire officials to provide them the location of these tanks.
- Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than one cup of bleach in one gallon of water. Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners; mixing can produce dangerous, toxic fumes.