The intent of the Wheelchair Ramp Partnership Pilot Program is to help Escambia County residents maintain independence and eliminate physical barriers by providing wheelchair accessibility to their homes. Volunteer agencies such as Council on Aging of West Florida, Pensacola Civitan Club, Pensacola Habitat for Humanity, and Ray of Hope of Northwest Florida provide volunteers to construct a new ramp or repair an existing ramp, while the County provides staffing for the application intake and Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds for the ramp materials.
Ramps are provided at no cost to the applicant and are provided in the form of a grant.
- Property must be zoned for residential use and located in Escambia County
- Property must not have any back taxes and Applicant/Owner must not have any other outstanding liens or judgments owed to the County.
- Applicant must be a current resident of Escambia County.
- Applicant must provide documentation to establish total gross family income that does not exceed 80 percent of the area median income adjusted for family size.
- Non-owner occupied (rental) properties must have owner permission.
Complete a Preliminary Application and submit to the Neighborhood Enterprise Division by email, mail, or fax. Alternately, call 595-0022 ext. 4 to complete the Preliminary Application over the phone. Neighborhood Enterprise Division staff will contact you to set up an appointment to complete application paperwork and collect income eligibility documents.
Time to determine eligibility and receive approval will vary by applicant, depending on how quickly paperwork is provided by you. Applicants are processed on a first qualified, first served based. The number of applicants already waiting for a ramp and volunteer availability also impacts ramp installation timing. After approval, you will be contacted by one of the partner agencies to inspect your property to measure for the ramp and estimate materials needed.
How to Help:
Partner agencies need volunteers to implement this program. If you or your group can volunteer, please contact one of the following agencies:
Pensacola Civitan Club
Council on Aging of West Florida
Pensacola Habitat for Humanity
Ray of Hope of Northwest Florida
If your not for profit agency would like to participate as a qualified partner agency to construct ramps, please contact Meredith Reeves at email@example.com or 595-4968.