Escambia County Fire Rescue today responded to a residential fire in the 2600 block of W. Michigan Ave. at 10:10 a.m. Upon arrival, smoke was showing from the front door and the fire was brought under control at 10:29 a.m.
One patient was transported by Escambia County EMS to be treated for smoke inhalation. Firefighters rescued two unharmed cats.
This incident appeared to be caused by an accidental cooking fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. View home cooking safety tips at https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Top-fire-causes/Cooking.