Below is a list of events occurring in August at West Florida Public Libraries in Escambia County. For more information about library events, contact the Pensacola Library at 850-436-5060. Visit mywfpl.com, like West Florida Public Libraries - WFPL on Facebook and follow @MyWFPL on Twitter for up-to-date event announcements and more.
West Florida Public Library Locations
- Pensacola Library: 239 N. Spring St., Pensacola, 32502, 850-436-5060
- Century Branch Library: 7991 N. Century Blvd., Century, 32535, 850-256-6217
- West Florida Genealogy Branch Library: 5740 N. Ninth Ave., Pensacola, 32504, 850-494-7373
- Molino Branch Library: 6450-A Highway 95A, Molino, 32577, 850-435-1760
- Southwest Branch Library: 12248 Gulf Beach Highway, Pensacola, 32507, 850-453-7780
- Tryon Branch Library: 1200 Langley Ave., Pensacola, 32504, 850-471-6980
- Westside Branch Library: 1301 W. Gregory St., Pensacola, 32502, 850-595-1047
For hours of each WFPL location, visit mywfpl.com/locations.
August Events at West Florida Public Libraries
Southwest Branch Library Book Club
- Thursday, Aug. 10, 10:30 a.m. – Southwest Branch Library
- Thursday, Aug. 15, 6 p.m. – Southwest Branch Library
Enjoy a friendly literary conversation of "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens.
Graphic Novel Group
- Monday, Aug. 12, 5:30 p.m. – Pensacola Library
Join Pop Comics owner Harley Orr and Pensacola Library staff in a discussion of a graphic novel decided on during the July meeting. The group meets monthly to discuss graphic novels.
Molino Book Club
- Monday, Aug. 19, 6 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Join us as we read “Exit West” by Mohsin Hamid. “From the internationally bestselling author of “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” and “How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia”, a love story that unfolds in a world being irrevocably transformed by migration. In a country teetering on the brink of civil war, two young people meet – sensual, fiercely independent Nadia and gentle, restrained Saeed. They embark on a furtive love affair, thrust into premature intimacy by the unrest roiling their city.
Popular Literary Book Club: “The Library Book” by Susan Olean
- Wednesday, Aug. 21, 10:30 a.m. – Pensacola Library Join us for this mesmerizing and uniquely compelling book that manages to tell the broader story of libraries and librarians in a way that has never been done before.
Book events for youth
Pet Partners: Read With Me™
- Saturday, Aug. 17, 10 a.m. - noon – Tryon Branch Library
- Saturday, Aug. 24, 10 a.m. - noon – Southwest Branch Library
School-aged children are invited to register for a 15-minute session to pick a book and practice reading with a furry friend. Dogs and handlers are coordinated through Pet Partners and Cherry Point Dog Training, Inc. Preregistration is requested.
Summer Reading Club
Summer Reading Club for Adults and Youth
Tuesday, May 28 - Saturday, Aug. 3 – All library branches WFPL has a summer reading program for adults and youth. The program began Tuesday, May 28 and will run until Saturday, Aug. 3. Register at any WFPL location. Remember, audiobooks are not cheating
Summer Reading Wrap-up Party
- Tuesday, July 30, 11 a.m. – Southwest Branch Library*
- Tuesday, July 30, 3 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
- Wednesday, July 31, 11 a.m. – Century Branch Library
- Wednesday, July 31, 3 p.m. – Pensacola Library
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 11 a.m. – Molino Branch Library
- Friday, Aug. 2, 11 a.m. – Tryon Branch Library**
Children are invited to celebrate the end of the program with games, snacks and fun. *Program will be held Big Lagoon State Park 12301 Gulf Beach Highway (weather permitting). Library card holders will receive free admission to the park from 10:30 - 11 a.m.
**Enjoy our second wrap up party for the summer with popcorn and the movie Muppets From Space, 1999, running time 88 minutes, rated G. Gonzo discovers that his long-lost relatives are aliens from a distant planet.
- Saturdays at 2 p.m. – Pensacola Library
We will help you learn how to play one of the oldest games in the world. Whether you are a brand-new beginner or a master chess player, this is a chance to learn new skills, practice your moves and improve your game in a friendly environment. All playing levels are welcome, including beginners. The library will provide all the chess boards and pieces.
Sewing and Quilting with STEAM for Grownups
- Wednesday from 10 a.m. – noon – Tryon Branch Library Would you like to learn to sew? Come learn at the library. We provide all you need to get started. If you are already an experienced seamstress or quilter, come us for the fun and friendship.
Quilt, Stitch and Sew Open Session
- Thursdays from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. – Pensacola Library
Come learn to quilt, stitch or sew. Want to learn to crochet? Want to brush up on your sewing skills? Want to spend time together with like-minded people working on your craft project? The library has sewing machines and other tools you can use to produce your creations.
Westside Loopy Loomers
- Tuesday, Aug. 6, 1 p.m. – Westside Branch Library
- Monday, Aug. 12, 5 p.m. – Westside Branch Library
- Tuesday, Aug. 20, 1 p.m. – Westside Branch Library
- Monday, Aug. 26, 5 p.m. – Westside Branch Library
Learn to loom knit hats, scarves, lap blankets and other items as we are making slipper socks for a local dialysis unit and yarn nest for abandoned wildlife (baby birds and squirrels) for the Wildlife Sanctuary of Northwest Florida. Yarn and looms are provided. All ages are welcome.
Rock Painting 101
- Thursday, Aug. 8, 4:30 - 6 p.m. – Southwest Branch Library
A local patron will guide you through the fun and creativity of painting rocks for fun. Sponsored by The Friends of the Southwest Branch Library.
YAS: Young Adult Social
- Thursday, Aug. 8, 5:30 p.m. – Southwest Branch Library
Young adults are invited to hang out in our new youth oriented section for snacks and games. Includes Wii bowling, and other activities. Last Thursday of every month.
Movies, Music and Games
- Thursdays from 6 - 8 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Join us on Thursday evenings as we learn to play the mountain dulcimer. Bring your dulcimer and join, or try one of ours. Beginners welcome.
Tryon Tuesdays: Movie Night for the Family
- Tuesday, Aug. 6, 5 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Dumbo: Struggling circus owner Max Medici enlists a former star and his two children to care for Dumbo, a baby elephant born with oversized ears. When the family discovers that the animal can fly, it soon becomes the main attraction. Enjoy a popcorn treat. PG, 2019, 1 hr and 52 min
- Tuesday, Aug. 13, 5 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Wonder Park: Wonder Park tells the story of a magnificent amusement park where the imagination of a wildly creative girl named June comes alive. Enjoy a popcorn treat. PG, 2019, 86 minutes
- Tuesday, Aug. 20, 5 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase: Modern, smart, and independent, Nancy Drew reluctantly befriends Helen, the local mean girl, and together they investigate the haunting of Twin Elms. Enjoy a popcorn treat. PG, 2019, 99 minutes
- Tuesday, Aug. 27, 5 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Kid Who Would be King: Old-school magic meets the modern world when young Alex stumbles upon the mythical sword Excalibur. He soon unites his friends and enemies, and they become knights who join forces with the legendary wizard Merlin. PG, 2019, 2 hrs
Tryon Tuesdays: Play Store
- Tuesday, Aug. 6, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
- Tuesday, Aug. 13, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
- Tuesday, Aug. 20, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
- Tuesday, Aug. 27, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Go shopping for favorite foods and work the cash register.
- Monday, Aug. 12, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
- Thursday, Aug. 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
- Monday, Aug. 19, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
- Thursday, Aug. 22, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
- Monday, Aug. 26, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
- Thursday, Aug. 29, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Earn your GED at the Molino Community Center. Classes are held each Monday and Thursday evening from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Molino Community Center. This is an open enrollment program, so students may enroll anytime during the semester. Contact Patricia Harrison at George Stone 850-941-6200 ex. 2361 for more information. Visit georgestonecenter.com to register.
One-on-One Assistance and Instruction
- Tuesday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. – Genealogy Branch Library
Come to the Genealogy Branch Library for one-on-one sessions on searching for the deceased, introduction to Ancestry.com and Heritage Quest 101. Walk-ins are welcome or you can schedule a private session.
Doc Holliday Appears at Program of the West Florida Genealogical Society
- Saturday, Aug. 3, 10 a.m. – Genealogy Branch Library
Join us for a special guest speaker, Dr. Thomas. He has a passion for collecting antiques from the Wild West days such as Doc Holliday’s dental chair, playing cards, dice, clay poker chips, dental tools, a casing card shoe and leather-topped card table. Hear his stories and see some of the antiques. You can also meet the members of the West Florida Genealogical Society. You don’t have to be a member to attend. Each session also provides an opportunity to meet experienced and knowledgeable society members who willingly share their ideas and techniques. Free and open to all.
- Wednesday, Aug. 7, 10 a.m. – Southwest Branch Library
Want to try yoga? Ease into it with gentle chair yoga; ideal for seniors and those who have difficulty arising from the floor as well as office workers who sit for hours in a chair. Local patron Sallie Beckes, a 500-hour professional yoga teacher will guide you through the basics of chair yoga: gentle stretches seated in a chair and also standing postures. Preregister please. Sponsored by The Friends of Southwest Branch Library.
Walk this Way
- Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. – Molino Branch Library
Put on your walking shoes and start the year off right. Come out to the track behind the Molino Branch Library on Saturday mornings and join us as we get our walk on. Weather permitting.
Tryon Branch Library
Mommy & Me
- Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. – Meeting Room B
Stories and activities are designed for children under 3 years of age.
Molino Branch Library
Preschool Story Time
- Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. – Youth Services Department
Join Ms. Lisa and Mo the library lion each Wednesday for stories, songs, and movement activities designed to build future readers.
Sign-up for One-on-One Tech Help at Pensacola
- Wednesdays from 3 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. – Pensacola Library
- Fridays from 10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. – Pensacola Library
Do you need help with using a smartphone? Need to know the basic functions of your personal laptop? Sign up for a 30-minute one-on-one session for any topic under basic computer skills during open computer lab hours every Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and every Friday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call 436-5088 to sign up.
One-on-One Tech Help at Molino
- Thursdays from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Get 30 minutes of individual technology help at the Molino Branch Library. Find email, increase your computer knowledge, improve your skills with your smart phone and learn how to download e-books and more. Call 850-435-1760 to reserve your session.
One-on-One Resume Help
- Mondays from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Are you looking for a job and need to get your resume put together? Schedule a 45-minute appointment at Molino Branch Library. You will get personalized help to polish up your resume and make it stand out from the crowd.