Below is a list of events occurring in May at West Florida Public Libraries in Escambia County. For more information about library events, contact the Pensacola Library at 850-436-5060. Visit mywfpl.com, like West Florida Public Libraries - WFPL on Facebook and follow @MyWFPL on Twitter for up-to-date event announcements and more.
West Florida Public Library Locations
- Pensacola Library: 239 N. Spring St., Pensacola, 32502, 850-436-5060
- Century Branch Library: 7991 N. Century Blvd., Century, 32535, 850-256-6217
- West Florida Genealogy Branch Library: 5740 N. Ninth Ave., Pensacola, 32504, 850-494-7373
- Molino Branch Library: 6450-A Highway 95A, Molino, 32577, 850-435-1760
- Southwest Branch Library: 12248 Gulf Beach Highway, Pensacola, 32507, 850-453-7780
- Tryon Branch Library: 1200 Langley Ave., Pensacola, 32504, 850-471-6980
- Westside Branch Library: 1301 W. Gregory St., Pensacola, 32502, 850-595-1047
For hours of each WFPL location, visit mywfpl.com/locations.
May Events at West Florida Public Libraries
Southwest Branch Library Book Club
- Thursday, May 2, 10:30 a.m. – Southwest Branch Library
- Thursday, May 16, 6 p.m. – Southwest Branch Library
Enjoy a friendly literary conversation of “The Gown” by Jennifer Robson.
Graphic Novel Group
Monday, May 13, 5:30 p.m. - Pensacola Library
Join Pop Comics owner Harley Orr and Pensacola Library staff in a discussion of a graphic novel decided on during the April meeting. The group meets monthly to discuss graphic novels.
Popular Literary Book Club: “Calypso” Book Discussion
- Wednesday, May 15, 10:30 a.m. – Pensacola Library
Join us as we discuss David Sedaris’ most deeply personal and darkly hilarious book to date. Life at the Sea Section, as he names his vacation home, is exactly as idyllic as he imagined, except for one tiny, vexing realization: it’s impossible to take a vacation from yourself. With “Calypso”, Sedaris sets his formidable powers of observation toward middle age and mortality.
Molino Book Club
- Monday, May 20, 6 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Join us as we read “Wolves of Eden.” Irish author McCarthy returns with the story of two Irish immigrant brothers facing violence in the post-Civil War American West. Reenlisting, they end up battling Red Cloud's coalition of Indian tribes even as a fellow soldier tracking some murderers runs afoul of Irish nationalist rebels and anti-immigrant nativists.
Book events for youth
Read with a Dog!
- Wednesday, May 1, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. – Pensacola Library
Come to Pensacola Library to practice reading to Tanner the dog! Kids can bring their own book or borrow one from us. There will be 15-minute slots available to read to Tanner. Slots are first come, first served. Please call 850-436-5038 to reserve your slot. Remember to bring your punch card to read your way to a new book.
Pet Partners: Read With Me™
- Saturday, May 18, 10 a.m. to noon - Tryon Branch Library
- Saturday, May 25, 10 a.m. to noon – Southwest Branch Library
School-aged children are invited to register for a 15-minute session to pick a book and practice reading with a furry friend. Dogs and handlers are coordinated through Pet Partners and Cherry Point Dog Training Inc. Registration is requested.
Saturdays at 2 p.m. – Pensacola Library
We will help you learn how to play one of the oldest games in the world. Whether you are a brand-new beginner or a master chess player, this is a chance to learn new skills, practice your moves and improve your game in a friendly environment. All playing levels are welcome, including beginners. The library will provide all the chess boards and pieces.
Sewing and Quilting with STEAM for Grownups
- Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon – Tryon Branch Library
Would you like to learn to sew? Come learn at the library. We provide all you need to get started. If you are already an experienced seamstress or quilter, come us for the fun and friendship.
Quilt, Stitch and Sew Open Session – Pensacola Library
Thursday, May 2, 1-3 p.m.
- Thursday, May 9, 1-3 p.m.
- Thursday, May 23, 1-3 p.m.
Come learn to quilt, stitch or sew. Want to learn to crochet? Want to brush up on your sewing skills? Want to spend time together with like-minded people working on your craft project? The library has sewing machines and other tools you can use to produce your creations.
Tech Play - Family STEAM Night – Pensacola Library
- Thursday, May 2, 6 p.m.
- Thursday, May 9, 6 p.m.
Each Family STEAM Night this month will feature a different technology kit. Come learn with us! The library will provide all equipment, just bring your enthusiasm and curiosity.
Robotics and Coding Club at Tryon Branch Library
- Friday, May 3, 11 a.m.
- Friday, May 10, 11 a.m.
Come explore robotics and coding with the variety of robots that the West Florida Public Libraries has to offer. You will learn coding principles and how to program robots to help you solve the session’s challenge. The library will provide all equipment, just bring your enthusiasm and curiosity.
Star Wars Day: May the 4th Be With You
- Saturday, May 4, 10 a.m. – Pensacola Library
May the 4th be with You! Come learn about coding with BB-8, test your lightsaber skills in virtual reality with Beat Saber, and play with Star Wars Lego kits.
LEGO® Mindstorms Robotics and Coding Club at Tryon Branch Library
- Saturday, May 4, 2 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Come explore LEGO® Mindstorms and WeDo 2.0 with the West Florida Public Libraries. We will build robots and learn to program their actions. Beginners are welcome. The library will provide all supplies needed. Robotics and Coding Club runs through the end of May.
Harry Potter Wands with STEAM
- Saturday, May 4, 10:30 a.m. – Southwest Branch Library
- Saturday, May 11, 11:30 a.m. - Century Branch Library
Come cast your spells using Kano Harry Potter wands and learn to code. Join us for fun with magic and coding.
Open STEAM Lab – Pensacola Library
- Tuesday, May 7 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Come explore the technology at West Florida Public Libraries. Learn to code or use the Silhouette machines. Have a sewing project you would like to work on? We have the machines you need. Perhaps you would like to make a poster with the wide format printer. Drop into the STEAM Lab during our open hours and staff will assist you in getting started with your newest project.
Uke ‘n’ Play – Pensacola Library
Tuesday, May 7, 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 21, 4 p.m.
Learn how to play the ukulele! Beginner instruction is from 4-4:30 p.m. We will cover instrument handling, tuning, basic chords, etc. Jam with us from 4:30-5:30 p.m. as we share techniques and learn songs together. Bring your own ukulele or borrow one of ours.
BIoxels with STEAM
- Tuesday, May 7, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
- Tuesday, May 21, 6 p.m. - Molino Branch Library
Ever want to make your own video game? Come learn to make a video game in the style of those famous plumbers with Bloxels, a platform for building video games. You can create your own characters and scenery. The library will provide all the materials you will need. Just bring your imagination.
Tryon Tuesday – STEAM for Adults: Silhouette Machine Workshop
- Tuesday, May 7, 5 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Come learn to create iron-on designs for your t-shirts or other fabric materials using heat transfer vinyl. We will use Silhouette machines to make decorative items for your home, school or as gifts. We will help you get started. Beginners are welcome.
- Saturday, May 11, 10:30 a.m. – Pensacola Library
Scrap Mechanic is a creative multiplayer sandbox survival game where you engineer your own adventure. Choose from the in-game parts to build amazing contraptions. In Scrap Mechanic, you’re the master builder. The library will provide all the technology tools needed. You just need to bring your imagination and ingenuity.
Minecraft and LEGO® at the Library
- Saturday, May 25, 10:30 a.m. – Pensacola Library
Need something fun to do on a Saturday morning? Come get your build on and play Minecraft or build with LEGO®. You can even create a stop motion video using LEGO® bricks and our iPads. We will provide laptops and computers on which to play Minecraft.
Moon Rocks - Summer STEAM
- Tuesday, May 28, 10:30 a.m. – Pensacola Library
- Tuesday, May 28, 2 p.m. – Pensacola Library
- Wednesday, May 29, 10:30 a.m. - Molino Branch Library
- Wednesday, May 29, 2 p.m. - Tryon Branch Library
- Thursday, May 30, 10:30 a.m. - Southwest Branch Library
- Thursday, May 30, 2 p.m. - Westside Branch Library
- Friday, May 31, 10:30 a.m. - Genealogy Branch Library
- Friday, May 31, 2 p.m. - Century Branch Library
Moon rocks are coming to Pensacola! Now is your chance to see real moon rocks and meteorite samples, which we have borrowed from NASA. Come join us for a program of activities where we will explore lunar science and cosmic impacts.
Westside Loopy Loomers – Westside Branch Library
- Tuesday, May 14, 1 p.m.
- Monday, May 20, 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 28, 1 p.m.
Learn to loom knit hats, scarves, lap blankets and other items as we give back to the community. Yarn and looms are provided. All ages are welcome.
Rock Painting 101
- Thursday, May 9, 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. – Southwest Branch Library
A local patron will guide you through the fun and creativity of painting rocks for fun. Sponsored by The Friends of the Southwest Branch Library.
- Saturday, May 11, 2 p.m.– Pensacola Library
Children will create a small "garden" to attract fairies and other tiny folk. Choose from many different colors and decorations. All materials will be provided. For children 4-12 years old.
Hobbits, Dragons and Rings, Oh My! A Tolkien Celebration
- Friday, May 31, 2 p.m.– Pensacola Library
Children and their families are invited to celebrate the recent release of Tolkien. Come view the trailer and enjoy crafts, games, favors, treats and the best photo-op this side of the Shire.
YAS: Young Adult Social
- Thursday, May 30, 5:30 p.m. – Southwest Branch Library
Young adults are invited to hang out in our new youth oriented section for snacks and games. Includes Wii bowling, and other activities. Last Thursday of every month.
Movies, Music and Games
- Thursdays at 6 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Join us on Thursday evenings as we learn to play the mountain dulcimer. Bring your dulcimer and join, or try one of ours. Beginners welcome.
Tryon Tuesday Game Night
- Tuesday, May 14, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
Have fun with the whole family playing one of our many board games.
Tryon Tuesday Movie Night for the Family – Bambi
- Tuesday, May 21, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
We’re showing classic movies for the whole family once a month with popcorn. This month’s film is Bambi, release date 1942, rated G, with a running time of 70 minutes.
Tryon Tuesday Fun Night - Grocery Store Play
- Tuesday, May 28, 4 p.m. – Tryon Branch Library
The refrigerator is empty and you get to pretend buy some groceries with play money and play food.
- Mondays and Thursdays at 6 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Earn your GED at the Molino Community Center. This is an open enrollment program so that students may enroll anytime during the semester. A current TABE test is required to enroll for the classes. Contact Patricia Harrison at George Stone 850-941-6200, ext. 2361 for more information. Visit georgestonecenter.com to register. Classes will be on Monday and Thursday nights each week from 6-8 p.m. Classes end for this school year on Friday, May 24.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Hunter Safety Course
- Wednesday, May 8, 6 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
All hunters born on or after June 1, 1975 and 16 years old are required to take a hunter safety class to get their hunting license. This class requires completion of the FWC’s free online hunter safety course before attending class. Be sure to bring your certificate of completion for the online course to class. Go to myfwc.com to register and take the online course. Contact Paul Averill at 850-982-8070 for more information.
Beginning Beekeeping WFPL with the North Escambia Bee Association
- Saturday, May 25, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. – Molino Branch Library
Learn what a newbie needs to know about beekeeping with the North Escambia Bee Association at Molino Branch Library.
One-on-One Assistance and Instruction
- Tuesday - Saturday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. – Genealogy Branch Library
Come to the Genealogy Branch Library for one-on-one sessions on searching for the deceased, introduction to Ancestry.com and Heritage Quest 101. Walk-ins are welcome or you can schedule a private session.
Regular Program of the West Florida Genealogical Society
- Saturday, May 4, 10 a.m. – Genealogy Branch Library
Come meet the members of the West Florida Genealogical Society. You don’t have to be a member to attend, and they’ll be glad to help you learn more about researching your family history. Each session also provides an opportunity to meet experienced and knowledgeable society members who willingly share their ideas and techniques. Free and open to all.
- Wednesday, May 1, 10 a.m. – Southwest Branch Library
Want to try yoga? Ease into it with gentle chair yoga, ideal for seniors and those who have difficulty rising from the floor as well as office workers who sit for hours in a chair. Local patron Sallie Beckes, a 500-hour professional yoga teacher, will guide you through the basics of chair yoga: gentle stretches seated in a chair and also standing postures. Preregister please. Sponsored by The Friends of Southwest Branch Library.
Walk this Way
- Tuesdays at 8 a.m. – Molino Branch Library
Put on your walking shoes and start the year off right. Come out to the track behind the Molino Branch Library on Tuesday mornings and join us as we get our walk on. Weather permitting.
Tryon Branch Library
Mommy & Me
- Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. – Meeting Room B
Lapsit is a program for babies and their special someone.
STEAM Preschool Story Time
- Thursday, May 2, 10:30 a.m. – Meeting Room A
Preschool Story Time – Meeting Room A
- Thursday, May 9, 10:30 a.m.
- Thursday, May 16, 10:30 a.m.
- Thursday, May 23, 10:30 a.m.
- Thursday, May 30, 10:30 a.m.
Molino Branch Library
Special Story Time Guests: Escambia County Sheriff’s Office Mounted Posse
- Wednesday, May 1, 10:30 a.m. – Youth Services
Come meet our special story time guests: The Escambia County Sheriff’s Mounted Posse. Learn about the important job they and their horses do to keep our community safe.
Preschool Story Time – Youth Services Department
- Wednesday, May 8, 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 15, 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 22, 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 29, 10:30 a.m.
Join Ms. Lisa and Mo the library lion each Wednesday for stories, songs, and movement activities designed to build future readers.
Century Branch Library
Preschool Story Time
- Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. – Youth Services
- Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. – 351 W. Cedar St.
Short, baby-centric story time every week at Imagination Station! Come play and listen to a story. Admission is always free.
One-on-One Tech Help at Pensacola Library
- Wednesday, May 1, 3-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 8, 3-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 22, 3-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 29, 3-7:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 3, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 10, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 24, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 31, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Do you need help with using a smartphone? Need to know the basic functions of your personal laptop? Sign up for a 30-minute one-on-one session for any topic under basic computer skills during open computer lab hours every Wednesday from 3-7:30 p.m. and every Friday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call 436-5088 to sign up.
- Wednesday, May 1, 10:30 a.m. - Pensacola Library
Come learn how to create and manage a YouTube Channel. We will cover everything from building a basic channel to managing a large-scale channel with playlists. The class will cover basic analytics, tagging and end screen cards and prompts of your videos. Basic computer skills and use a prerequisite. Computers available on site, but feel free to bring your laptop.
- Saturday, May 4, noon – Pensacola Library
This series will present Microsoft Office 2016 on an intermediate level. Learn how to master Microsoft Word by creating, editing and formatting documents.
One-on-One Tech Help at Molino Branch Library
- Saturday, May 4, 1 p.m.
- Thursdays from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Get 30 minutes of individual technology help at the Molino Branch Library. Find email, increase your computer knowledge, improve your skills with your smart phone, learn how to download e-books and more. Call 850-435-1760 to reserve your session.
Wide Format Printing – Pensacola Library
- Monday, May 6, 6 p.m.
- Monday, May 20, 6 p.m.
Want to create your own large banner or poster? Attend this workshop and staff will help you explore and experience the library’s wide format plotter.
- Saturday, May 11, noon – Pensacola Library
This series will present Microsoft Office 2016 on an intermediate level. Learn how to utilize Microsoft Excel by creating spreadsheets to calculate formulas and analyze data.
One-on-One Resume Help – Molino Branch Library
- Saturday, May 18, 1 p.m.
- Mondays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Are you looking for a job and need to get your resume put together? Schedule a 45-minute appointment at Molino Branch Library. You will get personalized help to polish up your resume and make it stand out from the crowd.
Microsoft Office 365
- Saturday, May 25, noon – Pensacola Library
This series will present Microsoft Office 2016 on an intermediate level. Learn how to communicate and collaborate with Microsoft Office 365.